Special Education Teacher - Jean Garvin School
HowardCenter | Burlington, VT
The Jean Garvin School is a State Board of Education approved independent school. It provides a therapeutic educational program offering unique learning opportunities to inspire personal change and well-being for adolescents, ages 12-18 years, grades 7-12.
Consider this position if you have a Bachelor's Degree, a Special Educator licensure (grades 7-12) and experience teaching adolescents with learning challenges, ASD, Complex Trauma and other mental health challenges. Qualified candidates will be skilled in the areas of classroom management and differentiated instruction. Qualified candidates must be comfortable with and capable of being compassionately assertive and thriving within a dynamic environment that utilizes Relational and Trauma Informed instructional strategies.
* Support Teachers with planning and implementing curriculum
* Develop and implement academic and environmental accommodations
* Collaborate with Teachers and other colleagues to create safe, inclusive and culturally responsive learning environments to engage students in meaningful learning activities and social interactions
* Utilize diagnostic teaching, informal assessments and ongoing progress monitoring to assess student's academic, social, emotional and behavioral functioning
* Help to resolve interpersonal conflicts, teaches problem solving and conflict resolution skills
* Contribute to student progress notes, comprehensive evaluation reports and individualized education plans (IEP's)
* Facilitate IEP and quarterly meetings for students
* Facilitate student's integration to public school
Special Educator licensure (grades 7-12)
Valid driver's license, use of a personal vehicle and a clean driving record
Must be comfortable with and capable of being compassionately assertive and thriving within a dynamic environment that utilizes Relational and Trauma Informed instructional strategies.
This is a full time position
This is a salaried position
This is a bargaining unit position
Perks & Benefits:
* Comprehensive BCBS Medical with agency-paid premium support for individuals, couples, and families
* Delta dental
* Generous time off starting at 36 days of combined time off per year for full-time employees (and increasing with years of service)
* Agency paid 401K retirement and additional incentive match program
* Life insurance
* Flexible spending account
* Childcare stipend
* Employee Assistance Program
* Employee referral program with financial incentive
* Discounted online undergraduate/graduate courses through Champlain College truED
* Award-winning workplace wellness program HC4ME including physical fitness groups for staff, financial wellness incentives, and ongoing workplace wellness advocacy and education
* Voluntary benefits from local/international businesses: discounted gym memberships, mobile phone service, ski/snowboard passes, auto/home insurance, and more!
Howard Center is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. The agency's culture and service delivery is strengthened by the diversity of its workforce. Minorities, people of color and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. EOE/TTY. Visit "About Us" to review Howard Center's EOE policy.