School Registered Nurse
Washington County Mental Health Services, Inc. | Barre, VT
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Nursing assessments as required for the educational environment, maintaining records of prescribed medications and orders for administration, obtaining and tracking compliance of school immunization records, triaging illnesses and injuries during the school day, provide relevant and required trainings for staff, teaching health classes.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide annual medication recertification trainings and annual medication delegation renewal for staff working in the school system.
- Provide all nurse observations required under Rule 4500 for restraints OVER 15 minutes or by staff request.
- Maintain a current file of student med orders and update the medication administration book when needed.
- CYFS school nurse will administer prescription and over the counter medications to all students on site during school hours and will delegate this responsibility to staff during community outings or if the nurse is off premises.
- Triage any student illness/injury during school hours.
- Responsible for teaching various health classes to students under the guidelines from the Agency of Education.
- Provide additional situational trainings as requested or as the need is identified.
- Vision screenings for students in various grade levels as required by the Department of Health.
- Willingness to work collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team as well as being an example of nursing excellence in the school setting.
- Provide other duties as appropriate for the position.
- Complete all Academy and agency required paperwork completely and in a timely manner.
Education: RN with current Vermont license.
Experience: Must have excellent interpersonal skills; strong administrative and nursing assessment skills; previous school nurse experience preferred.
Willingness to use own vehicle when needed to visit off site educational programs, must have a valid driver’s license and excellent driving record, and have access to a safe reliable insured vehicle. E.O.E.