Registrar - Full-Time
Copley Health Systems Inc. | Morrisville, VT
The registrar is responsible for acquiring appropriate and billable patient demographic and insurance data, while adhering to all federal, state and third party payer compliance and billing regulations. Additionally, the registrar is responsible for all aspects of visit management within the hospital information system. The registrar will assign and prioritize stay type and service, financial classes, verify insurance coverage, obtain consent to treat/admit and collect copayment as required. The registrar will serve as initial contact for patients and visitors, in person and via telephone. To be successful in this position you will need to thrive in a fast paced environment, be detail oriented, flexible, and be able to provide outstanding customer service to both internal and external customers. Being a positive team player is a must. This position maybe required to work varied shifts and locations, weekends and holidays.
- REGISTRATION OR PRE-REGISTRATION: Accurately creates or identifies patients in the Master Patient Index. Updates or verifies all demographic, socio-economic and insurance information. Creates appropriate account for services being provided. Explains and obtains signature on necessary consents and other documents. Processes cancellations as required, notifying all pertinent hospital personnel as necessary. Completes the registration for non-patient encounters.Processes admissions and discharges in accordance with department protocols.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Courteously greets internal and external customers. Answers inquiries by telephone or in person, giving accurate information or referring to the appropriate person or place. Issues pages for medical staff and others in accordance with hospital and department protocols. Demonstrates knowledge of policies and procedures concerning patient confidentiality and privacy.
- ALARMS AND CODES: Monitors alarms and security surveillance monitors making appropriate notifications to maintenance, security, etc. as needed. Makes announcements for internal hospital codes including but not limited to Fire and Disaster.
- DATA ENTRY: Enters and maintains physician and other staff on call schedules in CPSI. Documents and distributes changes in accordance with department protocols. Other data entry responsibilities are completed timely and in accordance with department protocols.
- PAYMENT PROCESSING: Posts patient payments to accounts with accuracy on a daily basis, applying promp-pay discount as applicable. Payments should be posted the same day received and applied to the following AR day if processed after 1130 a.m.
- CASH HANDLING: Safeguards all cash and equivalents by maintaining proper controls over cash in accordance with department procedures. Cash drawers are to be counted at the beginning and end of each shift.
- CHARGE ENTRY: Post charges to patient accounts based on charge documentation (charge cards, sheets, logs, etc.) with accuracy on a daily basis. Reconciles hash totals in CPSI to charge documentation to verify accuracy prior to posting charges in accordance with department procedures. Charges should be posted the daily whenever possible. Charge corrections are to be timely and accurate in conjunction with documentation provided.
- QUALITY ASSURANCE: Audits, reviews and corrects patient information that is missing or incomplete in a timely manner. Researches corrections to the MPI in conjunction with HIM to assure appropriate Medical Record number for each patient.
- OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties as necessary upon the direction of the Patient Access Manager.
- CERTIFICATION: Successfully complete and maintain NAHAM or similar certification. Identify, enroll and complete continuing education contact hours for certification maintenance. Track continuing education hours, submit appropriate documentation and submit to accrediting organization as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Requires at least one (1) year experience in a medical office or hospital setting as an administrative assistant, registrar, biller, scheduler or similar function.
- Certified Healthcare Access Associate (CHAA) within 18 months of hire.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, good oral communication skills, computer skills with a accurate minimum typing speed of 30 wpm. Patience, tact, maturity. Ability to make quick decisions rationally under pressure. Ability to manage multiple tasks at once and identify critical situations. Ability to accurately handle money and make change.