Physical Therapy Assistant
Copley Health Systems Inc. | Morrisville, VT
The Employer has temporarily removed this postingOverview:
The Physical Therapy Assistant works as part of the rehabilitation team to provide physical therapy services under the direction and general supervision of a physical therapist. PTA's implement selected components of patient/client interventions ( treatments), obtain data related to the interventions provided, and made modifications in selected interventions either to progress the patient/client as directed by the physical therapist or to ensure patient/client safety and comfort. Participates in the weekend/holiday inpatient rotation. May work at any site supported by Copley therapy services including but not limited to Copley, Orthopedic, any satellite outpatient, Aquatic therapy, SNF, and or Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitaton. Participates in multidisciplinary conferences and with other disciplines to coordinate patient care. Provides patient and family education. Completes documentation and charge entry in compliance with work site type procedures, regulation and hospital policy for accuracy and timeliness. Recommends new procedures and equipment purchases pertinent to the practice. Participates in department inservice training. Participates in professional continuing education. Participates in performance improvement quality management activities. Performs services as necessary to meet the physical and emotional needs of the patient population for all ages infant through geriatric. Performs other assigned duties.
* Applies knowledge of therapeutic techniques to provide selected components of interventions ( treatments) as directed by the supervising physical therapist. Progresses and adjusts the treatment plan accordingingly in conjunction with the supervising physical therapist as the patient status changes. May document care pursuant to the existing treatment plan from the supervising physical therapist.
* Works directly wiht the Supervising physical therapist to ensure that the patient is seen by the supervising physical therapist at reasonable freqency to adjust the plan of care accordingly based on complaint rules and regulations.
* Assures proper functioning of modalities and equipment and follows appropriate procedure for correction of malfunctioning equipment. Participates in annual budget process by recommending appropriate equipment and supplies needs to meet patient needs. Takes personal responsibility for acquiring appropriate training in equipment in order to ensure competent use.
* Participates in department staff meetings, inservices and quality improvement activities. Responds promptly and appropriately to changes in policies and procedures announced at department meetings or via verbal and written communications. Proactively discusses procedural issues and opportunities with management in a professional and constructive manner.
* Participates in educating students interested in health care careers by interacting with and overseeing shadowing volunteers and other pre-professional students. May participate in professional clinical education program by functioning as a clinical instructor for appropriate level students. Follows the professional guidelines and procedures required of the CI and affiliating schools.
* Completes all required documentation including daily treatment and progress notes, patient home exercise programs, Discharge Reports and communications with providers and payers in accordance with the plan established by the Supervising physical therapist. Documents in accordance with hospital and or contractual policy and regulatory requirements. Completes documentation in electronic and or paper format as required by the service type and location. Documentation is completed in accordance with policy for timeliness, accuracy , completeness and compliance. Documentation supports the medical necessity of the therapy provided and the billing.
* Follows the appropriate and comprehensive plan of care including time-specific Functional goals, treatment frequency and treatment options appropriate for the patient's needs and condition based on the evaluation completed by the supervising physical therapist. Confers with the supervising physical therapist to plan, modify and coordinate treatments to meet the patients needs.
* Establishes annual plan for professional improvement in consultation with Supervisor and/or Director, and participates in appropriate ongoing continuing education. Provides peers with inservice training following CE.
* Completes all required logs for daily and weekly billing and productivity measurement in accordance with policy, accurately and on time.
* Participates in and documents as needed multidisciplinary meetings and conferences based on the assignment. Communicates appropriately with the care team between meetings to maintain continuity of care.
* Participates in orientation and training of employees, including employees from other departments.
* Follows departmental policies and procedures. Examples include but are not limited to following assigned work schedule and assignments, using timeclock appropriately and in accordance with the 7 minute rule, working above FTE and in overtime only with advance approval, submitting ETO requests with sufficient lead time to arrange for coverage and prioritizing prior to patient scheduling.
* Contributes to the departmental Performance Improvement Program. Examples include: performing peer review, data collection and analysis. Reviewing and recommending program, protocol, procedures.Participating in policy development and implementation. Updating EHR or other assessment and documentaton tools. Functioning as CCCE. Representing the department in multi disciplinary teams and committees, and other projects and tasks that require the knowlege and training of the physical therapist.
* Meets standards for productivity as established. Initiates timely communications with supervisor or director when circumstances may impact therapist's ability to meet expectations. Participates in the development and monitoring of a clinical schedule that balances patient needs, productivity expectations and therapist practice preferences. Is pro-active in managing patient schedules in order to achieve productivity expectations.
Associates Degree in Physical Therapy with current Vermont State Physical Therapy Assistant License.
At least one year working as a licensed Physical Therapy Assistant.
1-2 years combined employment experience as a licensed Physical Therapiy Assistant in orthopaedic outpatients and acute care. Cardiopulmonary rehab experience a plus. Experience with EHR.
License and Certification Requirements
BLS certification required within 6 months of employment. ACLS certification required within 6 months assignment to Cardiopulmonary Rehab.
Current Vermont State Physical Therapy Assistant License. Valid Drivers’ license.