Perinatal Supervisor / Lactation Consultant
Brattleboro Memorial Hospital | Brattleboro, VT
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 4:30pm (some nights / weekends)
The Perinatal Supervisor/Lactation Consultant supervises day-to-day clinical operations of the Birthing Center under the direction of the Birthing Center Director and within the framework of the Hospital’s Plan for Patient Care Services and the Hospital’s plan for Nursing Care. The Perinatal Supervisor/Lactation Consultant assures the provision of quality care to patients; develops and maintains a mechanism to evaluate and improve the quality of care; works to improve patient and customer satisfaction; provides a climate of collaboration between staff and other disciplines and departments; provides a mechanism for staff participation in developing specialty policies, procedures, and practices; provides for ongoing development of staff.
The Perinatal Supervisor/Lactation Consultant is able to provide direct patient care when needed and works with the Birthing Center Director to ensure leadership visibility across all shifts. Assists Birthing Center Director, Chief of Obstetrics and Chief of Pediatrics in conducting and coordinating staff education, and the implementation of best practice changes within the Birthing Center.
The Perinatal Supervisor/Lactation Consultant serves as a resource for BMH staff, physicians and patients regarding all aspects of infant feeding. This includes identifying mothers and neonates at higher risk for poor breastfeeding outcomes and working with families, nursing staff and provider groups to develop feeding plans as necessary. The Perinatal Supervisor/Lactation Consultant completes follow-up telephone calls to all discharged postpartum patients, regardless of feeding method. The Perinatal Supervisor/Lactation Consultant also delegates those interventions which may be performed by others, supervises others as appropriate, assists in maintaining a safe environment for the rendering of effective nursing care, provides and supervises education to patients, families and health professionals and collaborates with other health professionals in the planning and management of care and quality improvement.
- Graduate of NLN accredited school of Registered Nursing
Licensure / Certification(s):
- Current Vermont State RN License required
- CPR Certification required
- Certified Lactation Consultant preferred. Will consider Certified Lactation Counselor with agreement that IBCLC will be obtained within one year from hire date.
- Advanced Fetal Monitoring required
- NRP Certification Required
- S.T.A.B.L.E. Certification Required.
Experience / Skill Sets:
- Minimum of two years labor and delivery / postpartum / newborn nursery experience required.
- Minimum of two years’ experience teaching childbirth education (Lamaze) series preferred.
- Minimum of two years’ experience as a lactation consultant preferred.
- Experience in nursing education, orientation and as a preceptor in the inpatient obstetric setting.