Porter Medical Center | Middlebury, VT
Operations Director: Full-time (80 hours per pay period), eligible for full benefits.
The Operations Director shall provide direct management and oversight of operations of the provider practices under the management of the UVMHN Porter Medical Group (PMG). He/she shall address and resolve all issues pertaining to practice operations in accordance with established budgets and policies and procedures of PMG. He/she shall demonstrate visibility and build trust among all PMG team members and providers; provides financial management guidance and support; manage and develop the office managers and other leaders within the practices; promote the use of information technology and systems; participate in the PMG strategic goals; establish and maintain budgets for practices; implement new clinical and other programs; integrate newly acquired physician practices into PMG; and complete other duties as assigned. He/she shall perform duties under a matrix reporting structure to Porter Medical Center leadership and network leadership when appropriate.
Salary Range: Min/Hour: $46.08 Mid/Hour: $57.60 Max/Hour: $69.12
- Ensure the Practice Managers are reviewing monthly financial statements and working with the Finance team to verify accuracy of numbers, resolve questionable variances to budget, and document explanations for budget variances. Implement initiatives to realign actual performance to budgeted targets. Develop action plans to improve financial performance.
- Responsible, in conjunction with the VP-PMG, for annual operating and capital budgets, based upon developed guidelines and through seeking input from the practices, trend analysis and national benchmarks. Guides the Practice Managers through the budget process (i.e. data gathering efforts, historical analysis, and future planning exercises).
- Responsible for the integration of new practice acquisitions, including budget development and analysis of space, equipment and staff needs. Oversees practice integration, staff training and PMG policy implementation, providing initial on-site business operations management.
- Ensure implementation of PMG practice standards and guidelines across areas of responsibility.
- Enhancing operational effectiveness, emphasizing cost containment and the provision of high quality patient care.
- Resolving operational challenges and maintaining communication with staff and providers to ensure optimal productivity.
- Improving and maximizing patient and staff satisfaction and quality outcomes.
- Developing strong working relationships and building confidence with PMG providers and provider leadership. Leading practices through change and achieving targets and goals by engaging providers and staff.
- Influencing provider productivity maximization respectfully and politically.
- Active involvement in quality improvement activities in the practice, to include Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH), meaningful use and other quality improvement initiatives as appropriate.
- Monitor Press Ganey patient satisfaction data and work with Practice Managers on identified areas of improvement.
- Identifying optimal practice and network-wide staffing according to industry standards, recruiting staff, developing staff, and evaluating and disciplining staff appropriately in coordination with Human Resources.
- Monthly monitoring of operational metrics to include meeting with local sites to ensure understanding of metrics and implement plans to correct. Ensure follow up plans are followed and escalated PRN.
- Develop skills of Practice Managers in their support of the practice staff, their completion of performance evaluations, handling of discipline issues and areas of employee conflict. May have direct involvement in conflict, consistent with PMC’s grievance policy.
- Developing and implementing effective management techniques and practices. Mentor the Practice Managers to ensure the quality of current services, continual development of staff, and succession planning. Evaluate staff performance and seek input from provider leaders, other clinical personnel and the PMG Admin staff who also have routine contact with office support personnel
- Identifying, developing, and implementing clinical business opportunities to expand scope of current practice services or develop new programs and services in order to expand the health system market share or to improve PMG financial performance.
- Assisting the Vice President PMG and physician/provider leadership in developing and implementing the PMG long and short range strategic plans and business plans.
- Acts as a mentor to Practice Managers and coordinates orientation and on boarding of new Practice Managers. Serves in role of practice manager as needed.
- Building and maintaining key relationships and interfaces between PMG, Porter Medical Center and the communities from which Porter Medical Center draws patients.
- Assuring compliance with governmental, payer, and PMC’s regulations and requirements.
- Remaining current with healthcare and medical practice trends and developments.
- Bachelor’s degree with a preference for Master’s level preparation, or equivalent experience and/or certifications in Physician Practice Management from a qualified organization such as MGMA. Lean Management System or other process improvement certifications are preferred.
- Minimum of five years of physician practice experience is required with at least three years involving practice management experience. Preference will be given to those with experience managing a mix of primary care practice, specialty practices, and hospital-based departments.
- Strong financial experience, particularly in the areas of budgeting, financial forecasting, physician office billing and reimbursement.
- Excellent communication, team building skills with an ability to prioritize and multi-task. Analytical individual with a contemporary knowledge of information systems. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated abilities in persuasion.
- Applicants must have a track record of outstanding leadership and a desire for career growth.
- Demonstrated knowledge, experience, and comfort with business strategy implementation, cost controls, productivity enhancement, and operating in a politically sensitive environment.
- Direct experience with and knowledge of physician practice management information systems and electronic health records. Preference will be given to those with an experience using Epic.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, evaluate, and develop staff and provider talent.