Laboratory Aide - Per Diem
Copley Health Systems Inc. | Morrisville, VT
Performs various “waived” and/or moderate complexity laboratory-testing procedures. Collects blood and body fluid samples from inpatients and outpatients assuring specimen quality and patient safety and comfort. Enters requests and results for laboratory testing into the computer. Enters diagnostic coding for Medical Necessity determination and billing. Maintains departmental records and supplies. Performs various support functions. Compliance with all applicable State and Federal laws, regulations, and policies governing the provision of health care.
- Venipuncture, medical terminology, computer communications skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Maintain established policies, procedures, objectives.
- Actively maintains and/or establishes internal and external relationships.
- Participate in professional activities to keep abreast of technical and legal developments.
- Assumes special projects as directed
- Recognizes opportunities for project which will benefit your department.
- Assumes an appropriate professional demeanor. Acts as role model.
- Collects blood samples from inpatients and outpatients Following department policies.
- Enters orders into computer. May require pre-registration or accession number assignment.
- Applies Medicare compliance regulations for Medical Necessity of lab orders. This involves sensitive patient interaction and consultation with physician offices
- Enters appropriate ICD-10 codes to assure accurate and timely billing.
- Maintains files of laboratory orders for audit review
- Answers telephone, schedules appointments, takes messages and deals with public
- Enters results of all referral testing into computer. Calls results as required.
- Coordinates with archivist and medical records. Files referral results and pathology items.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Meets the psychosocial needs of the patient being served.
- Obtains specimens in a manner appropriate to the patient’s age, physical ability and intellectual development for the following patient populations: neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, geriatric, adult.
- Performs “WAIVED” and moderate complexity procedures done by the lab.
- Assures that controls are within acceptable limits.
- Records and enters results into computer accurately and according to protocol.
- Performs required preventative maintenance as capable
High School Diploma or Equivalent
Completion of two years in a Laboratory Science curriculum
Previous phlebotomy experience