IT Systems Developer II
State of Vermont | VT,
The Department for Children and Families is seeking an intermediate level computer systems developer to join our Mainframe team. The ideal candidate learns quickly and is self-motivated and has excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Strong documentation skills and ability to follow established processes are encouraged. Duties involve systems analysis as well as development, design, construction, testing, maintenance, implementation and enhancements of programs and systems. The Systems Developer position requires strong business skills and would be responsible for reviewing, analyzing and modifying systems including encoding, testing, debugging and installing to support application systems.
The Systems Developer II will:
- Follow our Systems Development Life Cycle checklist
- Consult with users to identify current operating procedures and to clarify program objectives
- Create technical specifications
- Write and test code and then refine and rewrite as necessary
- Maintain systems by monitoring and correcting software defects
- Produce technical documentation for new and existing applications
- Troubleshoot technical issues and identify modifications needed in existing applications to meet changing user requirements
- Be familiar with the system development life cycle.
Who May Apply
This position, IT Systems Developer II (Job Requisition #423), is open to all State employees and external applicants.
If you would like more information about this position, please contact Jeremy.Chenail@vermont.gov
Please note that multiple positions in the same work location may be filled from this job posting.
Resumes will not be accepted via e-mail. You must apply online to be considered.
AHS BACKGROUND CHECKS: This position will primarily support a department within the Agency of Human Services. Candidates must pass any level of background investigation applicable to the position. In accordance with AHS Policy 4.02, Hiring Standards, Vermont and/or national criminal record checks, as well as DMV and adult and child abuse registry checks, as appropriate to the position under recruitment, will be conducted on candidates, with the exception of those who are current classified state employees seeking transfer, promotion or demotion into an AHS classified position or are persons exercising re-employment (RIF) rights.
Work is performed in a standard office setting and there is significant interaction with users and members of project teams requiring some tact and diplomacy to balance competing views. Work outside of regular work schedule can be anticipated.
Bachelor's degree in computer science
Associate's degree in computer science or college-level coursework that includes 15 computer science credits AND two (2) or more years of experience in computer or network support, programming or analysis, or database administration.
Four (4) or more years of experience in computer or network support, programming or analysis, or database administration.
We are looking for someone with strong leadership skills, good personal skills, and experience working as part of a team. Incumbent must be able to work under pressure from deadlines while maintaining effective working relationships and must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Mainframe experience coding in Natural, JCL, and ADABAS is preferred for this position. Knowledge of Office of Child Support processes, concepts, and terminology, as well as HIPPA standards is a bonus.
As a State employee you are offered a great career opportunity, but it's more than a paycheck. The State's total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits that are worth about 30% of your total compensation, including:
- 80% State paid medical premium
- Dental Plan at no cost for employees and their families
- Flexible Spending healthcare and childcare reimbursement accounts
- Two ways to save for your retirement: A State defined benefit pension plan and a deferred compensation 457(b) plan
- Work/Life balance: 11 paid holidays each year and a generous leave plan; many jobs also allow for a flexible schedule
- Low cost group life insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Incentive-based Wellness Program
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of Vermont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged.
Nearest Major Market: New Haven
Nearest Secondary Market: Hartford