State of Vermont | Barre, VT
The Assessment Data Team at the Agency of Education is looking for a new Data Analyst to join their unit. As part of the broader Data Analysis & Management Division, the Assessment Data Team collects, manages, analyzes, and reports on critical assessment data for the purposes of transparency and accountability at the state and federal levels. The Agency of Education is currently based in Barre, VT, although we anticipate moving to Montpelier in early fall 2019.
Joining a close-knit team that prizes accuracy, the successful applicant must be dedicated to doing the basics of data science well, consistently. Commitment to stringent attention to detail is a must. The data this team works on are often publicly accessible and methodologies 100% transparent. Therefore, the products that leave this group must be error-free. The highly sensitive nature of the data this team works with also requires that this role maintain careful attentiveness to data security and data privacy.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Work with assessment vendors to manage the data side of the administration of assessments
- Execute and verify data transfers of assessment results, maintain data in state longitudinal data system and/or SQL Server environment, data stewardship, including cleaning and management of assessment and accountability data, preparation of assessment and accountability results for reporting with strict adherence to file specifications
- Work on preparation and validation of assessment and accountability data products prior to use in reporting at state and federal levels, as well as public reporting
The ideal candidate will:
- Be fluent in data management, analysis, and reporting of assessment and accountability data for Ad Hoc products including public records requests
- Have the ability to work well as a part of a tight-knit unit, strong working knowledge and experience in manipulating data using data management software (e.g. Microsoft Access, SQL Server, etc.)
- Have knowledge and experience in manipulating data and reporting results in other statistical analysis tools (e.g. SPSS, SAS, R)
- Have professional experience in appropriate handling of sensitive data and the methodologies for protecting data privacy (e.g. data suppression, blurring, anonymization, etc.)
- Be familiar with educational assessment and accountability data use
Who May Apply
This position, Data Analyst (Job Requisition #1851), is open to all State employees and external applicants.
If you would like more information about this position, please contact Wendy Geller at email@example.com .
Please note that multiple positions in the same work location may be filled from this job posting.
Resumes will not be accepted via e-mail. You must apply online to be considered.
Duties are performed largely in a standard office setting. Private means of transportation should be available for required travel. The role involves intensive interaction with departmental officials who may advocate strongly for their programs. Required recommendations may be difficult because of competing interests and limited resources. Rapid response in the face of tight deadlines may be necessary. Evening and weekend duty may be anticipated.
Master's degree AND two (2) years or more of data administration, business analysis, statistics and design work at a professional level.
Bachelor's degree AND four (4) years or more of data administration, business analysis, statistics and design work at a professional level.
Associate's degree AND six (6) years or more of data administration, business analysis, statistics and design work at a professional level.
High School diploma or equivalent AND eight (8) years or more of data administration, business analysis, statistics and design work at a professional level.
As a State employee you are offered a great career opportunity, but it's more than a paycheck. The State's total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits that are worth about 30% of your total compensation, including:
- 80% State paid medical premium
- Dental Plan at no cost for employees and their families
- Flexible Spending healthcare and childcare reimbursement accounts
- Two ways to save for your retirement: A State defined benefit pension plan and a deferred compensation 457(b) plan
- Work/Life balance: 11 paid holidays each year and a generous leave plan; many jobs also allow for a flexible schedule
- Low cost group life insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Incentive-based Wellness Program
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of Vermont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged.
Nearest Major Market: Barre
Nearest Secondary Market: Montpelier