Customer Sales Director
King Arthur Flour | Norwich, VT
The Customer Sales Director is responsible for developing and executing retailer specific sales plans/programs resulting in the delivery of his/her assigned revenue budget. The Customer Sales Director will manage and execute programs which align with company brand and strategy and deliver profitable and sustainable growth to targeted brands, across a diverse range of retailers. The role works closely with both Marketing, Trade Marketing and Operations to develop and execute brand strategies which build KAF brand awareness and deliver profitable revenue growth.
Oversee and manage all aspects of the sales within assigned retailer accounts for KAF
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION
- Develop and drive profitable sales within assigned accounts for King Arthur Flour
- Direct and oversee implementation and execution of sales and marketing programs
- Deliver assigned revenue and volume sales targets within budget guidelines
- Manage trade budget and other resources to optimize results
- Forecast sales (updating in REAL time) by retailer providing guidance to inventory/supply teams
- Grow distribution in assigned retailer accounts
- Own the retailer and product portfolio, ensuring the right balance of product offerings to meet customer needs
- Provide ongoing input regarding marketplace conditions/ retailer go-to-market strategies (new technology / tools, programs, etc.)
- Oversee, manage and develop respective Brokers including providing clear concise direction, measuring and evaluating performance and holding Brokers accountable for results
- Understand and manage accordingly all aspects of the “evolving” decision making/go-to-market process within assigned retailer accounts including account direction/changes and how decisions are made (multiple department involvement, i.e. category manager/buyer, ecommerce dept., marketing dept., supply chain, customer service, etc. to optimize KAF presence
- Own / Manage the customer relationships at assigned accounts. Penetrate all levels of assigned accounts
SALES STRATEGY & PLANNING
- Develop retailer specific strategies to expand KAF business opportunities to maintain a healthy balance between base business and new products.
- Create go-to-market trade activation plans for assigned retailers in line with strategic brand priorities and channel strategies - driving excellence in execution.
- Execute the overall 4P Guidelines: - Product, Placement, Promotion, Pricing –working closely with the trade/category management and marketing teams.
- Translate marketplace/retailer learnings regarding trade and shopper marketing – market, channel and/or account specific insights and other data source analytics, and translates insights into opportunistic plans that feed the Marketing planning process and brand strategy development.
- Contribute to category and marketing plans, with retailer specific insights and promotional strategies.
TRADE INVESTMENT/FUNDS MANAGEMENT/BUDGETING
- Manage assigned trade budgets to ensure that all resources are effectively used to drive both optimal results and ROI while delivering profitable revenue/sales growth.
- Analyze promotional activities - performance / level of spending, and evaluate key programs results against established KPIs, leveraging trade and finance teams as needed for ROI assistance.
- Contribute to the development and compliance management of account KPI’s. Make proactive recommendations to improve programming details and/or execution efficiencies for gaps.
BUSINESS INSIGHTS & PERFORMANCE MONITORING
- Analyze and manage retailers’, category, KAF share trends and data by retailer (such as, but not limited to Spins, Nielsen, retailer specific data, etc.) to support confident decision-making in determining strategy in areas such new retailer opportunities.
- Collaborate with Manager, Category Management, and Supply/Operations to identify and communicate gaps to targets/budgets, and work with the respective teams to develop/execute gap fillers
- Track retailer performance in all sales fundamentals against the category, competition and growth targets/KPI’s
- Cultural Fit: high integrity, honesty, ethical, trustworthy
- Results Oriented: self-directed, motivated
- Holds both his/herself and others accountable for results and maintains environment of integrity
- Seeks challenge and has a results-oriented mindset
- Good Listener - Listens first; then responds based on learnings
- Ability to not only see what is; but also be able to imagine what could be
- Ability to anticipate change and look for opportunities
- Demonstrates passion for product line
- Organizational Leadership
- Excellent leadership skills, able to lead and direct people and manage/support a wide breadth of retailer accounts
- Collaborative management style – Ability to involve other organizational members when appropriate
- Ability to prioritize and focus on things which will deliver the greatest impact
- Solid Communicator with strong Presentation Skills
- Demonstrates ongoing Mature emotional intelligence
- Intellectual Horsepower
- Thrives in a fast paced, dynamic work environment with tight timelines
- Able to navigate the nuances of a high performance entrepreneurial environment
- Analytical – Ability to seek data and make decisions based on combination of both fact based data and gut
- Complex Problem solving
- Demonstrates Self Confidence
- Flexible and Adaptable
- Welcomes Change - Willing to try new things/methods/technology
- Risk Taker – Comfortable with unfamiliar paths
- Innovative and Creative Thinking
- Challenges Status Quo
- Intellectually Curious
- Pioneering spirit and drive - Proactively seeks knowledge and skills
- Influencing Skills - Ability to persuade others towards an idea or goal
- Sense of Urgency
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field
- Master’s degree in business or relevant field preferred
- Minimum 5 years of sales experience
- Consumer Packaged Goods experience required, flour category experience a plus
- Experience working with large national retail customers
- Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint