Bennington College | Bennington, VT
Bennington College, a liberal arts college distinguished for its pioneering initiatives in higher education, seeks an energetic and detail-oriented Career Advisor in the Field Work Term and Career Development Office. This person will join a dynamic team of professionals committed to the value of experiential learning and career exploration.
The Career Advisor supports student and alumni career education through one-on-one advising sessions, student programming, event coordination, and program administration. The Career Advisor will coach over 1000 active and former students annually, typically 8+ per day, to evaluate their skills, interests and goals, identify resources, clarify and follow through on job search actions. Expertise in professional development support is a must, including: career coaching, editing resumes and cover letters, helping students build a digital portfolio and online professional profile, and providing training in interviewing, networking, and salary negotiating skills.
Other responsibilities include:
- Coach current students through all aspects of securing and succeeding in their Field Work Term search, including identifying opportunities, decision making, the application process, and professional behavior
- Assist students in evaluating their skills, values and interests through dialogue with students, faculty advisors, and academic advisors as well as through web-based resources such as skill/value inventory sites
- Provide feedback and assistance with fundamental career development skills such as resume and cover letter writing, job search strategies, networking, and interview skills
- Support students in building a professional presence through digital portfolios and LinkedIn profiles
- Help maintain accurate student and employer online files; promptly and thoroughly document all sessions on an online database system
- Research and stay abreast of current trends in job searches, employer search agents/sites,
- Collaborate with the academic services team to identify and assist students with academic warning; administer special consideration decisions such as medical accommodation requests
- Resolve student performance issues with consistent, clear, and fair standards
- Assess student reflective work, review of employer evaluations, hold related student meetings
- Lead responsive and adaptive programming for target groups, including first generation students, students of color, high financial need students, and international students
- Task supervise a team of 5 student workers to provide peer support with career materials
We seek a team player--someone who is willing and nimble, able to jump in when needed, and can work collaboratively with others. The position requires excellent interpersonal and advising skills as well as strong technological skills, including CSM database management, familiarity with all aspects of Google and Microsoft Office Suites, including advanced proficiency with Excel. Professional communication skills and ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing are essential; a minimum of two years experience in office administration and career development experience preferred. Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required and/or 3+ years experience in career development, student/academic advising, education, human resources, human services or equivalent required; Master’s degree in relevant field and/or advanced certification or training in career development preferred. This position is required to stay current on trends in job search protocols, recruitment, and career-development best practices and resources; and be able to leverage technology to maintain a vibrant, interactive, and meaningful social media presence.